The History of Kinnettles Castle
Add your own chapter to a story stretching back six hundred years
The Kinnettles Estate is first mentioned at the beginning of the 15th century in a document where King Robert III of Scotland grants an annual income from the lands of Brigtoun, Inglestoun and Kinnettles to Alexander Strachan of Carmyllie.
The Strachan family established property on the Kinnettles Estate and held it until 1511. It was then passed to the Lindsay family who held the land until the middle of the 17th century, when the estate was acquired by Sir Thomas Moodie, one time Provost of Dundee. The estate then passed to Patrick Bower, who had relatives at Kincaldrum.
A windfall from the West Indies
In 1802 John Aberdein Harvey, a schoolmaster’s son who had been left a small fortune by his late Uncle, a successful planter and merchant in the West Indies, purchased Kinnettles from the Trustees of Alexander Bower. With his wife, Angelica Dingwall Fordyce, John Aberdein Harvey built a new mansion on the southern slopes of Kinnettles Hill.
Upon John Aberdein Harvey's death in 1832 the estate passed to his son John Ingles Harvey, who was a civil judge in India. He returned and lived at the new mansion until 1864 and during his residence at the estate he built a mausoleum, allegedly for the body of his first wife. This mausoleum may originally have been located in the gardens to the north of Harvey Mansion House, but is now situated approximately where the original main house of Kinnettles stands today.
Build me a castle fit for a baron
In 1864, James Paterson became the new owner of the Kinnettles estate, and decided that the Harvey Mansion was way too restrained. He had it demolished and replaced it with the extravagantly theatrical baronial mansion, designed by Edinburgh architect David Bryce, that greets you today.
The next owner was Joseph Grimond, a merchant from Dundee, who purchased the estate about 1880. Then in 1914, Sir James Duncan, who had been born in a small cottage at West Ingliston and attended the Parish school, bought the property. He had entered a bank in Dundee after leaving school and soon went to Rangoon where his business skills and resourcefulness enabled him to become wealthy. On his return he bought the estates of Kinnettles and Coupar Grange.
In 1927, Sir Harry Hope, the local MP and Governor of the Angus County Council, acquired the estate. When his daughter Peggy married Squadron leader Dudley Lloyd-Evans in 1939 she continued to live in Kinnettles House, until the estate was purchased by Hugh Walter Munro in the 1960s. He and his family lived here until he remarried and moved to his new wife's home in Blairgowrie. The house and surrounding woodland were then leased by Universal, a communication organisation, who used it as a staff training facility.
Finally, in March 2011, Kinnettles Castle was welcomed into the AmaZing Venues portfolio and has been extensively refurbished to become the luxury boutique venue that provides such a splendid setting for celebrations, weddings and corporate events.
Kinnettles Castle was built to impress and the 44 acres of grounds and gardens have lost none of their ability to take your breath away. As well as the rolling lawns with panoramic views of the Angus hills, the extensive mature woodlands situated just beyond are a tree lovers’ delight - many rare and exceptional specimens are so remarkable that The Tree Register of the British Isles has been keeping note of them since 1891!
The ornamental stonework around the grounds are adorned with beautifully carved ropes and knots and in the spring rhododendrons close to the house and stables glow with bright colours. Whatever your filming and photography requirements, the grounds make a stunning extension to the castle itself.
Kinnettles offers 13 stunning bedroom suites including the AmaZing Gate Lodge which provides a cosy and hospitable escape in the heart of the green and rolling countryside. The Lodge features two well-appointed bedrooms, a fully equipped kitchen and comfortable sitting room.
Kinnettles also has 9 large function rooms perfect for any business event whether it’s a discreet and confidential meeting or a motivating training course, an inspiring brain storming session or a reward for a hard working team. Kinnettles Castle, with its turrets and battlements, palatial grounds and splendid views, offers striking décor and outstanding facilities admirably setting the tone for any event.
The large Dining Room converts perfectly into a luxury boardroom, seating up to 20 delegates with a drop down screen and state of the art projector. The Marquee provides a wonderful space for any requirement from conferences and road shows, to AGMs and large events, this area can accommodate up to 200 in a variety of different styles. Kinnettles offers its own Casino and games rooms featuring roulette, poker and snooker tables which provide an interesting space with countless photography and film opportunities.
With great transport links, located just 12 miles from Dundee and four miles from Forfar, Kinnettles Castle is a very conveniently located venue and perfect for a host of photography and film options.
- Feature Films
- Film Shorts
- Independent Films
- Television Commercials
- Television Series
- Television Shows
- Student Films
- Training/Industrial Videos
- Music Videos
- Reality Shows
- Web Series
- Photography Projects
- Event Venues
- Corporate Parties
- Private Parties